City of the Roses
rose

In the early 1900's A. N. Nelson built the first commercial and began the wholesale production of flowers. He was followed over the years by the Amling Brothers, the Maton Brothers, Spanbauer & Webb, and the Asa Brothers. Pana was selected for the greenhouses because of a quirk in the climate that made it one of the least likely places in the country to have a hail storm. At one time there appeared to be as many as 109 greenhouses in Pana. At its peak, the Rose Industry in Pana had 6 major wholesalers producing between 18 and 19 million roses annually. The Jordan Brothers, who for years were editors of the Pana News-Palladium, coined the name "The City Of Roses".

City of Pana Illinois
welcome
Pana lies near the geographical center of Illinois. It's origins are attributed to the coming of the railroad in 1853. The location was determined by the intersection of the Indianapolis & St. Louis Rail Road (NYC) and the Illinois Central Rail Road tracks. Originally called Stone Coal Precinct, it was formed June 5, 1845. It changed to Pana Township on September 2, 1856. In the winter of 1856-57 the Illinois Legislature granted the Charter incorporating the village of Pana.
The city is ideally located from a market viewpoint, since it lies within 250 miles of four large metropolitan centers which serve over ten and one-half million people.
Pana is well situated from the standpoint of highways. Route 51, running north and south connects Interstate 72 to Interstate 70. Route 16 running east and west, connects Interstate 55 with Interstate 57. This gives Pana easy access to the entire interstate system. Route 29 connects Pana with Springfield, the state capital.
Days Gone By
Old coal mine

History of the Pana Coal Mines

At one time, Pana like much of Christian County, was a major coal producer. The first Pana mine, the Pana Coal Company Mine No. 1, was opened in 1884. Penwell-Kitchell Coal Mining Co, Springfield Coal Mining Co, and the Smith-Lohr Coal Company followed. Between 1928 and 1941 all mines but one were shut down. The original Pana Coal Company Mine operated until 1948.
In 1947, work was started on the Peabody Mine No. 17. By fall of 1950, production was started. Initialy 5,500 tons a day were produced, and by the middle 50's output was 11,000 tons daily. All the Pana Mines are closed.
Depot

The Big Four and Central Illinois Depot

The Big Four consisted of Illinois Central built in Pana in 1854, the New York Central in 1855, Baltimore & Ohio in 1869, and the Chicago & Eastern Illinois in 1904.
Church's
Church

There are eighteen churches of various denominations in Pana, offering a variety of programs for all age groups.

Detail
Education
School

Pana High School has a Complete fiber-optic distance learning facility capable of broadcasting and receiving educational programs. 

Detail
Real Estate
Real Estate

Listings Updated Every 15 Minutes. View Photos and Request a Showing. Find Open Houses.

Detail
Health Care
Health Care

The 44-bed Pana Community Hospital acute care facility is located in the southern region of the city.

Detail
Library
Library

Children and adult programs are offered throughout the year.  One does not need a library card to attend.  All programming can be found on the library website.

Detail
City Government
Government

Pana has an aldermanic form of government with a mayor and 8 aldermen representing four wards.

Detail